Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Learning how to be a missionary in high school- My Calcutta


One of the many, many great things that Poplin pointed out that the missionaries in Calcutta strived to do and did well was not to complain.  She pointed out how when somebody would complain about one little thing a spirit of rife with anger, frustration, and discouragement would spread throughout the entire group like a disease and affect all the good work they were trying to do for Christ.  They actually had a rule that they were not to speak during their day’s work unless it is necessary to get their work done instead they would pray without ceasing.  This reminds me of James 1 when James tells us to be slow to speak.  I was just talking to my breakfast club girls about the not complaining challenge, and I didn’t realize how much it could affect not just high school, but also future mission fields also.  We must learn to set our minds on things that are above not on things that are on earth!  “Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.” Philippians 2:14 How much more would we shine if we simply replaced complaining with thanksgiving and prayer? We are ambassadors of Christ and I think I often times represent Christ poorly by living and talking as if I was of this world and not called to a higher standard.  I heard a story of a missionary who came across a group of ambassadors who were really rude and prideful and acted like they ruled the country they were in.  He realized that his view of their countries as a whole went down because of who they had representing them.  I want to represent Christ like a true child of the living, imperishable, undefiled, and unfading promise!  I am a chosen child of God just simply a sojourner in this world and I want to live in the light of my identity- in the light of eternity.  The power to do this can only come from Christ!  One thing I have really been challenged by is what I am complaining about and how out of focus I really am when I am complaining.  I always keep up with the persecuted church through Voice of the Martyrs and Prison Alert and yet I complain about the school getting mad at me for my skirt being to short? Haha Life is too brief to get caught up in the things of the world!  I want to learn to respect the people in authority of me more and more because not only has God put those people in my life to conform me to be more like him, but also how much more could I shine in this generation?  Even it does not make sense and I think I know better I must submit- if Jesus who knew all things and knew not sin and could submit and respect leadership so can I at least strive to. 1 Peter 2:13-25
            One way the missionaries do not live of this world is how little they own.  Also their ministry ran by a simple life style.  “The lack of toys concerned no one except an occasional volunteer, like me.  I realized more clearly how Americans are accustomed to having so many things that we have trouble coping with out the them… Both children and adults who have many things constantly want more, and then a short while, we are restless and bored again.”  We all have this empty hole in our hearts that is meant for God and God only yet a lot of times especially as Americans we try to fill it with stuff.  We see a picture of this in how we are always trying to upgrade and make renovations in the kitchen and just always striving towards more comfort.  Would we ever spend a long time moving and fixing up a house that when you were done you just have to move back out of?  This is what we do in life so often- we spend our whole lives trying to make our lives more comfortable not realizing that we have to leave so soon.  “For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in heavens.” 2 Corinthians 5:1 I want to live and die for bigger things!  I like how Mother once put it- “It I not a sin to be rich, but be careful because riches can suffocate you if they are not used in the right way.”  The older I get the more I see wealth as a hindrance and temptation that is always trying to pull humanities focus away from God.   
            The Missionaries of Calcutta first work was always prayer.  This past week I went and taught the third graders at OCS about Christianity and missions in Europe.  I was thinking about what could a third grader at OCS do with this information? So I challenged the kids with my life verse.  “Then he said to his disciples, ‘the harvest is plentiful and the workers are few; therefore pray to the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest.” Matthew 9:37-38 We are not only called to go, but also to pray.  I gave each child a sheet of paper with a country and the percentage of Christians in the country and asked them to pray.  My deep hope is that through what I did last week there are little precious children’s prayers for the nations of Europe entering the throne room. 
            Another great point Poplin made was how there seems to not be as many miracles in the West as in developing nations such as India.  She said she was uncomfortable sharing some of the miracles that occurred which was a witness to the power of doubt in the West regarding the supernatural.   I personally believe there are miracles around us everyday that our eyes for some reason cannot see as God a lot of times.  We tend to either ignore or discredit anything that does not fit our current worldview.  All we have to do is ask for God to reveal himself in huge ways and he will! I have been praying to see miracles like the days of Moses right here in OCS and I know that God will be faithful! “O Lord, I have heard the report of you, and your work, O Lord, do I fear.  In the midst of the years revive it; in the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy.”  Habakkuk 3:2 Poplin also mentioned a couple of mission fields that are really seeing miracles on top of Calcutta- one being where my sister went this summer and there is a couple of books about that I would love to read! That is Heidi and Roland Baker in Mozambique.  I definitely want to study this when I teach the third graders about Africa.  Heidi is often called the Protestant Mother Teresa for her work with the orphans there.  Their ministry known as Iris ministry is known for the signs and wonders that occur through it.  Another one she mentioned was all that is happening in Argentina.  I have a MK friend (Mrs. Kalmykov’s little sister so I guess I could talk to her too) that grew up in Argentina and her parents are still missionaries there through the IMB.  I know that they are currently in Israel studying Judaism to be able to minister to the Jews in Argentina.  I would really like to interview somebody from this family to see what Poplin is talking about.  This is a contact I plan on using when teaching the third graders about South America along with my experience there in Nicaragua, Brazil, Mexico, and soon Ecuador.  

No comments:

Post a Comment